I don't know what exact this command did but Alt+Enter worked after that. The side effect, though, was that it squeezed the window a bit so that I couldn't even see the bottom of the terminal.

gnome-settings-daemon is, like it sounds, a daemon used by gnome that manages gnome session settings, probably the reason that gnome-terminal wouldn't start is because it may require the settings daemon to be running, I am unsure as to what you mean by "squeezed the window" but it's probably a result of one of those settings(or so it would seem, intuitively), when I accidentally had this running at one point, I noticed a lot of different things. but if you're not using gnome, you might be better off using another terminal emulator anyways
Alex K