I've gone through this with pets of my own and no, there's never a "good" or
"better" way to say goodbye. You just do, and know that you gave them a good
life full of love and vice versa. Its all about the years of love, baby, and
not about recriminations when it's time to say goodbye.

With so many dogs and cats in the world that never even live to be family
companions, know that Pepper gave you and your family a lifetime of love. And
vice versa. Consider a donation to your local SPCA or, better, a no-kill rescue
facility if you have one, in Pepper's name.

hugs
deb