    The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for March 18, 1999

                impecunious [adj.  im-pih-KYOO-nee-us]

To be impecunious is to have very little money, to be poor.  "Because
of my impecunious state, I was forced to ask for alms in the plaza."

In Middle English, to be pecunious was to be rich.  Today we also have
pecuniary (relating to money).  The root is Latin pecunia (money,
wealth).

A related Latin word, peculium (cattle, private property) led to the
modern words peculate (to embezzle funds or private property) and
peculiar (unusual, eccentric, odd; belonging distinctly and primarily
to one owner).

All these words stem from the ancient root peku- (wealth), which also
gave us pecorino (Italian cheese made from ewe's milk), while from the
Germanic modification fehu- came the modern words feud, feudal, fee,
and fellow.

Today's sponsor:   ACSI Bulk Inks   <http://www.oddparts.com/ink>

WHY pay $30 for a new inkjet cartridge, when you can refill
your current one 10 times for $21.95 with our 450 ml pint bottles.
Free, easy on-line instructions. Color and photo inks too.
Call us now Toll Free: 1-888-728-2465 VISA/MC/AMEX
ACSI Bulk Inks:  <http://www.oddparts.com/ink>
Mention Cool-Word and save $5 on shipping/handling