    The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for July 12, 1999

                       feckless [adj. FEK-lis]

Someone who is feckless is feeble or ineffective, lacking purpose and
vitality, or careless and irresponsible.  Example: "Although seemingly
feckless, clumsy, and inept, Jar Jar Binks managed to save the day."

The suffix -less can mean "not having" (hopeless, careless, witless), or
it can mean "beyond the range of," (countless, numberless).  The first
meaning applies to our word, but what does a feckless person not have?

Someone who is feckless is effectless, or having no effect.  The original
root was the Scottish feck, a contraction of effect and the source of the
modern English efficacy.  The original root was Latin efficere (to
accomplish).

Another interesting -less word is ruthless.  In this case, what is lacking
is ruth, a word that means "compassion or remorse."  Someone who is
ruthless does not have either of these qualities, so they are merciless
and without remorse.

-------------------- Information for advertisers ---------------------
Do you have a company, product, or website to promote?  The Learning
Kingom can help you reach over 100,000 readers in one day!  Just place
an ad with one of our daily mailings.  Our rates are extremely
competitive.  Visit <http://www.tlk-lists.com/sponsor/> or just send
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and we'll help you get started.