   The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for October 4, 1999

                     alacrity [n. uh-LAK-rih-tee]

This word usually appears in the phrase "with alacrity."  If you act
with alacrity, then you are responding promptly and cheerfully.
Alacrity can also be readiness, willingness or eagerness.  Example:
"When the prize committee sent me a mysterious note, I replied with
alacrity."  Someone who acts with alacrity is alacritous [adj. uh-LAK-rih-tus].

Since the 15th century, alacrity has been cheerful responsiveness,
either physically or emotionally.  It always carries a positive,
upbeat quality.  The word is based on Latin alacritas (liveliness),
from alacer (lively).

A near-synonym is celerity [n. suh-LAIR-ih-tee], which carries the
sense of acting quickly but without the overtone of cheerfulness.
It's from Latin celer (swift).  Other near-synonyms include dispatch,
expedition, hurry, and haste.

Today's sponsor:  WORDCOMMAND   http://www.wordcommand.com/SAT-GRE.htm

BOOST your SAT, ACT, GRE, or TOEFL verbal scores FAST!  WordCommand's
patented learning system includes spoken pronunciations, quizzes,
screen savers, flash cards, customizable word lists, and much more!
ZDNet's Editor's Pick.  Click below to see how easy it can be.

CLICK HERE: http://www.wordcommand.com/SAT-GRE.htm