   The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for October 7, 1999

                    such [adj., adv., pron. SUCH]

This word has many fine shades of meaning.  The clearest and most
common sense is "of this kind," but it can also mean "to so extreme a
degree," or "especially."  As a pronoun, it has several subtly
different meanings centering around "this one that is being
indicated."  Example (as an adjective): "Joe was a retired fisherman,
one of many such people in his town."

Like many short, common words, such has been with us for a very long
time.  The prehistoric Germanic root was a compound of *swa (so) and
*lik- (form, body).  From *swa we also have the modern word so, and
from *lik- we have like.  In Old English, the root evolved to swylc
(so formed), which gradually changed to the modern form of such.

Ancient words often have close cognates in related languages.  In
German, such is solch.  It's zulk in Dutch, slik in Swedish, and slig
in Danish.

Today's sponsor:   ACSI Bulk Inks   <http://www.oddparts.com/ink>

Refill your existing inkjet or toner cartridge with our bulk
inks and toners. Save 75% to 90%. Get 1 pint of ink for $21.95.
Free, easy on-line instructions. Color and photo inks too.
Call us now Toll Free: 1-888-728-2465 VISA/MC/AMEX
ACSI Bulk Inks:  <http://www.oddparts.com/ink>
Mention Cool-Word and save $5 on shipping/handling