Hi

Then we´re assuming that web PKI means only TLS connections, am I right? So
"web" is used only in "browsers"? I think this is not fair. We are talking
about trust models and browsers root stores is only "one" of these models, not
the only one and we should consider the others.

I don´t get why we are assuming that web PKI is only referred to the browsers,
and if so, the document could be very simple, just pointing to the browsers
policies or leave it to the CAB Forum, which is not a standards body like it
can be IETF.

If we´re to produce a standard on trust models we should consider all options,
not just one because it´s the most used. That is not an standard.

Regards

Hiya,

On 06/27/2013 08:04 AM, i-barre...@izenpe.net <mailto:i-barre...@izenpe.net>
wrote:

> Hi,

> I don´t know the numbers because I´m not managing it, this is

> typically done at the ministers in the national governments which are

> the responsible for managing the TSL,

Those would be the wrong numbers I think.

The numbers of interest relate to real-world usage in TLS sessions. I'd be very
surprised if any of the ETSI stuff showed up in anything near 0.1% of TLS
sessions.

If it does not then this WG should just ignore it and concentrate on the 99.9%
of stuff that actually happens.

Is anyone claiming that the ETSI stuff shows up in >0.1% of TLS sessions?

> but in any case, I sent an

> email asking for these numbers, which in any case it´s only for one

> country.

> OTOH, I think this is not about percentages (or at least I don´t see

> that way) since these TSL are mandated by law.

So what? There are loads of digital signature related laws in the world. They
are all irrelevant for this wg unless they impact on what is actually used to a
non-negligible extent in the real web pki.

> But, if numbers are

> needed, there are 27 (EU member states) reliable trust stores that

> must be considered, not just 5 (browsers) and you can add Adobe and

> Oracle (also have root stores).

Wrong numbers again. This has nothing to do with how many implementations exist
but rather with what is really commonly used.

> IMHO, this document has to take into account all options because if we

> are only dealing with browsers then I think the CAB forum is doing it

> now and it will be a useless or repeated (similar) work.

That ("take into account all the options") sounds like a recipe for failure to
me given the lack of activity here and the history that the PKI community has
of spending way too much time on niche corner cases and ignoring what's
actually commonly done. (Sorry that's a bit of a rant and I'm as guilty as
anyone, or was in the past - I'm reformed now:-)

S.