INFO: toronto--international dub poetry festival

Dub Poets Collective . 805 St. Clair Ave. W, 2nd Floor . Toronto, Ont. . M6C 1B9

2005 International Dub Poetry Festival Part II: Dubbing the Elements
November 24-27, Toronto (various locations)

Wind and rain, earth and fire; as the season changes, the Dub Poets Collective shouts November to a close with "Dubbing the Elements;" the second half of the 2005 International Dub Poetry Festival.
From November 24 - 27, some of the most provocative poets, performers and thinkers in the Americas converge upon Toronto. Words and rhythms their only weapons, they come to challenge the mind, excite the spirit and chant down the status quo. Join us for:
Ø    Â
four nights of performance, including a youth poetry slam & competition with prizes;
Ø    Â
three days of panel discussions, including a youth discussion on poetics and performance, the history of dub poetry, and the challenges of translating the voice to the page;
Ø    Â
a rediscovery of the works of Phillis Wheatley, America's first published black poet;
Ø    Â
the triumphant launch of collective member Klyde Broox's book of poetry, "My Best Friend is White."
Festival guests include: Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm (Cape Croker Reserve, Ontario); Michael Bennett (Jamaica); George Elliott Clarke (Toronto); Melville Cooke (Jamaica); Shauntay Grant (Halifax); Oni the Haitian Sensation (Ottawa); Peculiar I (Toronto); Ras Mykkal (Bermuda); Eintou Springer (Trinidad & Tobago); Samuel Fure Davis (Cuba).
Formed in 2003, the Dub Poets Collective is a creative organization totally dedicated to promoting dub poetry as a vital cultural practice. The DPC is also committed to the enhancement of other spoken word genres. Since our first main festival in June of 2004, we have been working hard to engage Toronto and the greater world in the rhythms and reasoning of dub and dubbing towards enlightenment and overstanding. DPC members include Klyde Broox, Afua Cooper, Clifton Joseph, Sankofa Juba, Chet Singh, and d’bi.young.
Evening performances:
Thursday Nov. 24Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Opening night: "Dubbing the Elements"
Friday, Nov. 25Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Youth Poetry Slam & Competition
Saturday, Nov. 26Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Each Man Version (Men Reasoning)
Sunday, Nov. 27Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Book Launch ("My Best Friend is White," by Klyde Broox)
Panels/presentations:
Friday, Nov. 25Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â The History of Dub Poetry
                                   Rediscovering Phillis Wheatley, Mother of Black Literature
Saturday, Nov. 26Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Youth Poetics/Performance Discussion
                                   Publishing: The Word Made Text
Sunday, Nov. 27Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Tribute, or Theft? (Using the cultural stylings of others)
For information, locations & updated festival information, contact the Dub Poets Collective:
Phone: 416.598.4932 . Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] . Website: www.dubpoetscollective.com
The 2005 International Dub Poetry Festival Part II is generously supported by the Toronto Arts Council,
the Ontario Arts Council, and the Department of Canadian Heritage.

___
Stay Strong

"...we have the responsibility to make no deal with the oppressor"
--harry belafonte

http://www.sidebrow.net/2006/lbraithwaite-01.html
\
http://www.sleepybrain.net/vanilla.html
\
http://radio.indymedia.org/news/2005/10/7255.php

en fins (clichy sous bois): zone d’injustices ?" dbl the giver dub

http://radio.indymedia.org/uploads/en_fins__clichy-sous_bois_dbl_da_giver___.mp3