It is in Sri Lanka, and is kept at Kandy.
The Sinhalese were also very upset when the
ancient tree which was a cutting of the original Bo tree
under which Buddha gained enlightenment was damaged
by the Tamil Tigers.

May I suggest a poem by James Schuyler called "Self-Pity Is A Kind of Lying, Too".  The Buddha both does and doesn't exist, somehow he or his teachings are still a lot more than just another bone.  There are relics, however.  It was a big deal to the countries involved when a tooth of the
Buddha was moved from one country to another, either  from Myanmar to Thailand or vice versa.  I don't remember which, anymore direction the tooth took or in which it was taken.  Anyway, good luck in recovering from self-pity.  I hope it doesn't take too long.  Meditation might help but are you open to it?