I love Jarmusch’s work but missed “Broken Flowers”.
This happens with me. I rent many more videos than I
go to see movies in the theatre and sometimes will let
one slide that I would like to see by never quite
getting around to it.  I greatly enjoyed “Lost in
Translation”. “Broken Flowers” is a movie I should
make it a point to see. Everyone edits and revises
their own past to create an explanation of how they
became who they think they are. One thing this means
is that when you look up old girlfriends, you will
probably find that, even if you are as important in
her story as she is in your’s, her story is not your
story even though both stories are about the two of
you.

One of my favorite movies is “Memento”. This film is
built around the trick of reversing the sequence of
two moments by showing the moment that occurs later
before the moment that occurs before. The central
character of this film has suffered brain damage that
makes it impossible to create new long-term memories.
He thus has his past up until the moment of traumatic
injury and the last two minutes forever with nothing
in between. Reversing the chronology of moments is a
wonderful way of capturing the reality of his world.
Moments he does not remember are moments we have yet
to see and, often, our confusion parallels his.

Another interesting film is “Timecode”. The screen is
divided into four frames where four stories unfold
with characters that overlap. Not every character
appears in all four frames and it is not possible to
identify each frame with any one character’s
perspective. I can’t watch “Timecode” without
imagining a similar movie.

In Frame1, we see a man and a woman, but never both
together, talking to a therapist who is never seen or
heard. We would know the setting from clues in the
client’s discourse. In Frame2, we see the man and the
woman together. In Frame3, we see the woman
interacting with various others, always in the man’s
absence. In Frame4, we see the man interacting with
various others, always in the woman’s absence. Both
often mention the other and their relationship in
their absence.

The man defines himself as a memory which acts. “How
can a memory ever be false?”: is his constant
question. The woman wants to know what really
happened. She repeats constantly that she cannot know
who she is until she knows what really happened. We
never find out if they are seeing the same therapist
or different therapists.

Sometimes in Frame1, we also see a middle aged man but
never see him with the man or the woman but always
delivering a paper titled “The persistence of memory
and the continuity of identity across episodes in
lives that are experienced as episodic: resources for
revision”. He takes questions from the audience that
make it clear that his presentation has been based on
two very detailed clinical case studies of clients
whose sense of the relationship of memory to identity
are diametrically opposed and, perhaps, painfully
flawed in opposite extremes.

His presentation could be a commentary on what we are
seeing in the other three frames and the questions
could be attempts to understand the story that would
emerge if all three frames could merge into one
narrative. The framing is temporal rather than spatial
A single screen jumps from one frame to the next in
fixed sequence one through four every five minutes
without worrying a bit about continuity. Each temporal
frame would be five snapshots of five minutes length
not contiguous and not necessarily presented in
chronological order within frames or between frames.
The last five minute section and the first should both
be in Frame1. The ending should be the first five
minutes of the presentation and the beginning should
be the five minutes immediately following.
TMike

“In so far as literature turns back on itself and examines parodies or treats
ironically its own signifying procedures, it becomes the most complex account
of signification we possess.” – John Deely