Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:32 PM
Subject: I am your adjoining consecration

when it is time to roam toward sleep, one pencils in an attitude

      (not once have I begun to mourn in future tense

half out of alignment with whatever was supposed

     (in a splintered derivation of replenishing I form the next

now held up to light into an afternoon

     (only supposing yours is the colonial impasse of worn feathers

made whole of an indifference perhaps time and a half

     (plebians count themselves into an ether that they ache to subdivide

the hour to close the light according to the idiom

     (at last unexpected as peace always is

you will safen me and my endowments

     (typified by peacetime

I have held you history has gently meted out

     (my sound cave in which hurt is relieved

this small rectangle of us on the boat when we were there

     (you looked into the face of the photographer with such love

together impolitely toggling on and off our shared picture of the new world

     (requiring nothing more than our agreement balancing mid-breeze

sheila e. murphy