I've been amazed by the recent work of Marina Abramovic called Balkan Erotic Epic, which is in some aspects connected to this discussion. Now the exhibition arrived here in Sao Paulo but I can quote one of its shows in English:
http://www.skny.com/lasso-bin/exhibition.lasso?-token.ExID=10209
Having to work in this subject for the purpose of a lecture on her performances, I noticed how familiar are some of these pagan rituals to some of our conceptions on sexuality.
best
Lucio BR