This should be doable at the Safari end; I don't have access to the root of the website for one thing, and the mp4 is now the standard extension just about everywhere; it's even being used professionally. With PCs, all of this is completely configurable by going into file extensions - in other words .mp4 is associated with Quicktime (although on PCs you don't have to do that) - are you sure this isn't possible on Macs? And why would a Mac read a dot-file on the site root anyway? It would just access the .mp4 file itself - Safari wouldn't be looking for anything else. And if it was, why couldn't that be placed natively on the Mac?

This is too weird since Quicktime has pushed .mp4 and yet they're basically Mac/Apple.

- Alan, confused