Geert,
My day job is teaching English so I often have to
define this term “common knowledge”. I always make
clear that ‘common knowledge” can only be defined in
relation to a particular interpretive community. One
becomes a member of that interpretive community by
interpolating the common knowledge that “goes without
saying” in that interpretive community. I’m unusual in
this space for my relative lack of background in the
visual aspects of digital media. Please assume in
dealing with me that I am turnip-witted enough not to
know an awful lot that seems obvious to you. Maybe I
can learn something without boring you to death.
Michael

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.