   From:    Thomas    savage
   To: WRYTING-L@LISTSERV.WVU.EDU
   Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 1:18 PM
   Subject: Re: Very short lecture by John    Cage

   In a video interview John Cage did toward the end of his life, he said:
"I have nothing to say and I am saying it" and smiled his beautiful smile into
  the camera.  This statement seems to be, to me, if not the sole essence    of
Cage's program, at least one of them.  I say that as someone who has
listened to his music most of my life, taught his poems to my students, and
who met him once.  His memory and his example mean a great deal to    me.
Regards, Tom Savage

Dear, dear    Tom,

   That's a saying a lot.  Reminds me of    Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground
(everything I like does)and that famous    line from Judgment at Nuremburg  "I
was aware".

   I worked for a few years in state prisons     -- that line haunts me.  But
mostly because of what I know of    myself.  God bless John Cage for exposing
another one last    truth.   We are all aware, we all know it and there is
nowhere    to hide.  Say what we will.  There is nothing more or less to say
and he said it -- but I just like repeating it for the feel of it in my
mouth.

   Best  wishes--

Lewis LaCook
Director of Web Development
Abstract Outlooks Media

440-989-6481

http://www.abstractoutlooks.com
Abstract Outlooks Media - Premium Web Hosting, Development, and Art Photography

http://www.lewislacook.org
lewislacook.org - New Media Poetry and Poetics

http://www.xanaxpop.org
Xanax Pop - the Poetry of Lewis LaCook

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.