I understand where you are coming from Taco. This sort of feeling is not
uncommon for mailing lists and forums that cover potentially complex
subject matter. The fear of being flamed is usually unwarranted though.

People are subscribed to this list to learn, help out and generally
promote web standards. If you receive a hard line, its probably just a
simple case of that person being passionate about web standards.

I think most people here would frown on anyone who flamed a newcomer.

ChrisB