On the third page kevin yank talks about it a bit more

[quote from article]
"...if the target attribute of the <a> tag is being phased out, does it
really make a difference whether we're setting it with JavaScript
instead of HTML? Sure, the page will validate against the HTML 4.0
Strict and XHTML 1.0 Strict Document Type Definitions, but aren't we
technically cheating?

The answer is no. The Document Object Model (DOM), which governs the
document objects and attributes that are available to JavaScript code,
is a totally separate standard from (X)HTML. Also consider that the DOM
2.0 standard that was published in January 2003 (well after XHTML 1.0,
let alone HTML 4.0) still includes this attribute. It seems clear that
while this attribute is slated to be phased out of (X)HTML, it will be
available to JavaScript through the DOM for the foreseeable future."
[end quote]

Tim Hill
Computer Associates
Graphic Artist