I go with Verdana 9 times out of 10 unless the design calls for something more
condensed then I'll go with Arial. In order of personal preference I usually go
with font: Verdana, "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, sans-serif. If the client wants
serif then Georgia is the most readable.

I know a bit about this as I work at the Font Factory in my day job. Verdana and
Georgia were developed by Matthew Carter (commissioned by Microsoft) and were
specially designed to be readable on screens/monitors. For that reason alone
they should be first choice in style sheets IMO.

Regards
PAUL ROSS
SkyRocket Design Co
http://www.skyrocket.com.au