There are heaps of images-for-heading options described at this page that
get around the problems associated with FIR:
http://www.mezzoblue.com/tests/revised-image-replacement/

The FIR has been on the way out since Joe Clark wrote this:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fir/

The big issue is display: none. A lot of the other methods do not use this,
so they will not fail in assistive devices such as screen readers. The main
method is to push the heading content outside the box that is displayed on
the page.

Can I put a plug in here for the "Lindsay method" - developed by Lindsay
Evans (a WSG member). While his technique has issues (as all of them do), it
does not actually hide the content, so it is not an issue for screen
readers.
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/headings-as-images/index.cfm

Anyway, best to choose a method that works for you based on your current
circumstances.

Russ

> On Thursday, March 18, 2004, at 09:44  AM, Jeremy Flint wrote:
>
>> btw, Doug Bowman officially deprecated the Farhner Image Replacement
>> at SXSW monday because of the inconsitencies it has with various
>> screen readers.
>
> I'm a big fans of Doug, and have always avoided FIR, but the word
> "officially" here seems incorrect.
>
> He may have *publicly* deprecated (expressed disapproval of) FIR, but
> no one man can *officially* deprecate FIR -- it's just not within his
> power.  My guess is that Doug never used the word "officially", and I'd
> love to see a transcript of his presentation to read about this in
> context.
>
> My hope is that he not only deprecated (expressed disapproval of) FIR,
> but offered an alternative :)
>

> ---
> Justin French
> http://indent.com.au

> The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/
> See http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm
> for some hints on posting to the list & getting help

Thanks
Russ

Russ Weakley
Max Design