Date: 03/26/04 03:30:59
Subject: Re: [WSG] Hiding styles message to certain browsers

Jamie

>  the main topic here is about - To hide OR not to hide stylesheets

I know what the topic is...  While I agree with hiding stylesheet for
the few older browsers still out there, because their owners refuse to
use the better alternatives available, it is different for IE5 Mac
users, because we don't have available choices.  The last MSIE update
was IE5.2.2 and there may not be others according to reputable Mac
sources.  On the Mac, many users have to use IE5 for banking, stocks,
etc (esp. the many OS 9er's that can't use Safari at all) because of
the mentality that PCs are the dominant platform and there isn't any
rush for site developers to fix their code for the likes of Safari or
other Mac capable browser.

Now granted... I understand this Mac problem is getting better
everyday, but the mentality of not fixing code (which IMHO is the same
as shutting out styles for IEMac5 users... who would not want styles
when their hardware is capable of it) only reinforces the prejudice AND
it is prejudice when simple fixes ARE available to the site designer.

> Never once did I mention anything about shutting down the whole Mac
> computer platform

Don't take it personal.  It's just a discussion. ;-) If you were a Mac
user only and you read that piece, my expressed sentiments would jump
out at you from between the lines.

Leo