Hi John,
I understand your frustrations.  Let me respond to a few things you said.

>Forgive my frustration, but after a couple of months with this Discussion
List I've formed the opinion no browser >will display web standards - every
one of them requires hacks of some kind.

This is true of non-standard complaint pages as well.  Considering that
table layouts are 'hacks' by nature, it's even more true.

I know that a CSS-based layout is the light at the end of the tunnel, but
consider that it's still acceptable in many circles to use a table for
overall layout purposes (a header, two columns, and a footer, e.g.), use CSS
for everything else, and still validate as XHTML Transitional.  That's what
XHTML Transitional is all about - moving from the old way to the new.

I'm at work, so I can't dive into your code and see what specifically is
going on, but my initial impression is that you could streamline your CSS by
using some ID's and fewer classes.  This might be a first step in gaining
better control over your positioning.

Will Chatham