Noa Groveman spoke the following wise words on 22/04/2004 11:37 AM EST:
Hey everyone, I've been reading this list for a couple weeks and this is my first time posting. I've got a question about something I've been working on recently. I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause, but I might as well ask.

Welcome!

I recently converted a directory lister script from using <table> tags to using CSS styled tables (display:table), and I've noticed that there is no provision for a colspan attribute.

This is tabular data. I would definately recommend using a table. Imagine there are 50 rows. How would the user, or user-agent, tell that there is a connection between the column header and that piece of data on the 50th row?

Use a <th scope="col" colspan="whatever">Header</th>

This makes sense, because tables are for displaying tabular data and not for fancy headers, but I want to do it anyway.

This is your first clue that you probably should be using a table.
You can style tables to your hearts content so I see no reason why you'd bother trying to emulate them using divs.

-- tim lucas

www.toolmantim.com