Nelson Ford wrote:

I've seen more and more of this fiddling with DTD's lately, and I'm not sure it is a wise thing for us to be going off the standard...

It is, as you put it a "can of worms." In many ways it's similar to mutations in DNA: for every harmless mutation, never mind the even rarer beneficial ones, there are many thousands of harmful ones. (One of the problem with Hypothesis of Natural Selection [it's not a theory since it makes no predictions which have been verified], but I'm guessing that that discussion might be slightly off topic.)

Mordechai