Patrick Lauke wrote:

Keep in mind that you can't have id or class attributes on the HTML
element (not in xhtml, nor html4). Apply them to the BODY instead.

I checked, and your right, but since body can take both, that's the way to go.

However, validity was only a minor part of my question, since I knew it could be done (though I was wrong about the html). My main question was (if you'll pardon the pun) is it good style to do so just to get the correct behavior from a menu, since, after all, I'm not using them to style the body at all (although I suppose I could).