Hi Barrie,

I agree with what you are saying, but the problems accesskeys cause is too
much of a headache for the time invested.

How have you assigned your keys?  Do they clash with default hot keys of the
major screen reading user agents?  Have you gone through all this carefully?
What about the problems users have distinguishing between when the browser
toolbar or the canvas has the focus?  This can lead to triggering tool
events rather than onscreen events when common keys are used?

Have you run a thorough testing suite on these designs, or is your design
based on best of intention?  I'm not being critical, but a lot of us have
built great stuff, standard compliant, only to find out it screws up
something terrible in the real world.

One of the big problems is that the WCAG-GL never researched this properly
and recommended a set of standard keys (to my knowledge), thus everyone went
their own way.  I'm not condemning the people that developed WCAG, they did
a great job, but this particular area did not evolve into the fantastic
feature it was meant to be.  They tried to work with user agents in this
area, but everyone had their own agenda.

If you are using key listeners that is different, but it opens up a
different set of areas that need to be addressed.

Tab indexes are something different, and that pretty much has a standard set
of behaviours across application software and the web.

If your usability testing has confirmed your design, then you have a
successful implementation, and I hope you can share that with us, because we
all need to see ways to implement these things that aid users and don't
hinder them.

Geoff