Lee Roberts wrote:

Andy wanted to know what the WCAG working group members
had to say about fixed and scalable width layouts.  I am a
member of the working group.

Well, I gave an education and it seems the topic has grown
to now include more about mobile devices.

The purpose of variable width or elastic designs is to
help people by allowing them to increase their font size
without destroying the design.  Yes, you will end up with
right-scrolls.  It doesn't matter what you do.

Thanks for that Lee. So are you saying that the sole purpose of checkpoint 3.7 is to accommodate the resizing of layouts along with text?

Does that mean in this case, pixels aren't being considered as relative units, contrary to what the specs say?

I have to admit that I have huge problems with the guidelines. Most notably because they don't really tell you why each checkpoint is necessary and how failure to comply can reduce accessibility. Some are obvious, but many others aren't.

Andy Budd

http://www.message.uk.com/