Using that great resource, the Listutorial
(http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listutorial/roll_master.htm), I thought I
would rework some navigation with a CSS-styled list, instead of images
and rollovers.

However, just using the basic version of the CSS rollover lists, I'm
finding that MS IE 5 is adding a gap between list items if I add any
font declarations anywhere eg. adding font-family and/or font-size to
the containing DIV or the UL, LI or A elements.

Firefox behaves perfectly, as you would expect.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for how I can add in some font
declarations for my navigation list? I need the ability to define
completely different text for the navigation list from the rest of the
page.

Here are some samples:

List with no font >== http://www.thesamaras.com/test/nav_no_font.htm
List with font declaration >== http://www.thesamaras.com/test/nav_with_font.htm