> I have been following this discussion (belatedly)
>
>  It's all in the MIME
> http://www.juicystudio.com/all-in-the-mime.asp
>
> first paragraph:
> " There have been a lot of articles recently about web
> standards; in particular, using XHTML and serving it as
> text/html. Personally, I'm not that bothered whether people
> serve XHTML as text/html, but think it's important that
> authors understand why this is wrong. Although I'm not
> bothered about content developers serving XHTML as text/html,
> I don't agree with people encouraging content developers to
> deliver XHTML as text/html. "
>
> I  wondered what other memebrs on the list thought about it
> and its implications?
>
> with regards
>
> Steven Faulkner
> Web Accessibility Consultant
> National Information & Library Service (NILS)
> 454 Glenferrie Road
> Kooyong Victoria 3144
> Phone: (613) 9864 9281
> Fax: (613) 9864 9210
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> National Information Library Service
> A subsidiary of RBS.RVIB.VAF Ltd.

Firstly, as a new member, I can't believe it took me so long to find WSG.

As I understand it, the problem with serving XHTML as text/html is that an
user agents view the code as 'tag soup', and therefore present malformed
code normally. I think that as long as a developer regularly validates their
code, they can continue to serve XHTML as text/html until MSIE supports
application/xhtml+xml.

Once again, great list. Although I find myself sitting here immersed in
these email when I really should be working.

Regards
Paul Farrell