Is anyone aware of a good reference on configuring Apache to serve the
files as the correct MIME type? Something in English would be good - a
system administrator I'm not! Does it need to be set up in a per-site
basis (as they're all set up as Virtual Hosts.) I'm assuming this can
be done with .htaccess files?

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:18:24 -0300, Julián Landerreche
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After reading this (http://www.juicystudio.com/all-in-the-mime.asp) my
> beliefs in XHTML has been shaked.
>
> What is this all about? Is it a bad practice to serve XHTML as
> text/html? is it harmful? what are the disvantages?
>
> The thuth is I cant understand what is this all about, and I didnt
> really understood the whole article (for example, what's that "tag soup"
> expression means?).
>
> After reading the article (and some related articles) I feel i'm doing
> things in the wrong way (because I serve xhtml as text/html, without
> even really understand what does it mean).
> I'm newbie in web-standards practice, but I have strong beliefs in
> standards and i like to do the things in the right way.
>
> I hope to hear clarifing and reassuring words from all the list, and
> specially from the gurus of WSG.
>
> regards
> Mannequin
> pd: excuse my poor english.
>

> Paul Farrell wrote:
>
> >>I have been following this discussion (belatedly)
> >>
> >> It's all in the MIME
> >>http://www.juicystudio.com/all-in-the-mime.asp
> >>
> >>first paragraph:
> >>" There have been a lot of articles recently about web
> >>standards; in particular, using XHTML and serving it as
> >>text/html. Personally, I'm not that bothered whether people
> >>serve XHTML as text/html, but think it's important that
> >>authors understand why this is wrong. Although I'm not
> >>bothered about content developers serving XHTML as text/html,
> >>I don't agree with people encouraging content developers to
> >>deliver XHTML as text/html. "
> >>
> >>I  wondered what other memebrs on the list thought about it
> >>and its implications?
> >>
> >>with regards
> >>
> >>Steven Faulkner
> >>Web Accessibility Consultant
> >>National Information & Library Service (NILS)
> >>454 Glenferrie Road
> >>Kooyong Victoria 3144
> >>Phone: (613) 9864 9281
> >>Fax: (613) 9864 9210
> >>Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>
> >>National Information Library Service
> >>A subsidiary of RBS.RVIB.VAF Ltd.
> >>

> >Firstly, as a new member, I can't believe it took me so long to find WSG.
> >
> >As I understand it, the problem with serving XHTML as text/html is that an
> >user agents view the code as 'tag soup', and therefore present malformed
> >code normally. I think that as long as a developer regularly validates their
> >code, they can continue to serve XHTML as text/html until MSIE supports
> >application/xhtml+xml.
> >
> >Once again, great list. Although I find myself sitting here immersed in
> >these email when I really should be working.
> >
> >Regards
> >Paul Farrell

> >The discussion list for  http://webstandardsgroup.org/
> >
> > See http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm
> > for some hints on posting to the list & getting help
> [...]

Jason Foss
Almost Anything Desktop Publishing
www.almost-anything.com.au
Windows Messenger: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
North Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
"We can do almost anything!"