I think you have to also understand there are many 'Microsoft's' depending on
which department / product you are referring to. The global company name might
be the same, but departments
are segmented and don't necessarily talk to each other.

 I've been to a Microsoft presentation where the VB.NET product manager (one of
them) was discussing the design decisions they made and the design decisions
that the C# group made. Point being even groups as similar as a programming
language were not at all on the same page. In fact he discussed battling with
the office group about supporting certain .NET features in their API. Each
group is responsible for what makes THEM money and is best for THEM, and it
doesn't necessarily matter what another group is trying to promote.

Hence one 'Microsoft' supported WC3 standards... Another 'Microsoft' doesn't
even consider web standards when writing what .NET will put out.

When it comes to the next IE7, the process will be the same. That group will
make thousands of design decisions from the same basis, time and money. It will
probably be very standard compliant because the market is very different right
now from what it was then, but it will not be what we may want it to be.

Ryan Nichols
Graphic Design / Web Development

Matrixwebs.com
1.800.711.2829