I have always recommended not using an editor, learn it manually, then perhaps use one for shortcuts. Reliance on html editors and such isn't a good idea. That will go a long way toward learning on your own, without being limited by some software. Notetab or notepad is fine.

Bruce Prochnau
www.bkdesign.ca
Ontario