From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chris W. Parker
Sent: 01 February 2005 19:12
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] Default state of radio buttons. (Maybe OT?)

Hello,

Not sure if this is off topic or not, but let me know if it is.

I'm wondering what the suggested default state of a group of radio buttons
is? Let me use a current, specific example.

In a form I'm writing I have one set of radio buttons. The current options
are 'Home', or 'Agency'. The radio button is meant to designate what type of
mailing address the customer has provided. Right now I've got neither option
being defaulted to. I know that radio buttons should have exactly one option
chosen at all times, but in this case it doesn't make sense to add a third
option of 'None', or have the group default to one option or the other.

How should I handle this? Should I bite the bullet and have the options
default to one of the options (both options will probably be chosen an equal
amount of times, as has been the case in the past)? Or maybe I should go to
a drop down list with three options? 1. '-', 2. 'Home', 3. 'Agency'

Your feedback is appreciated.

Chris.