Alan,

I've looked at this for a while and there is no guaranteed way of throttling
spambots; however, you can confuse the simpler efforts and certainly slow
the more determined scrapers.

I wrote a server side app to encode email and mailto: addresses in ISO, Hex
or mixed obfuscation. It's at:

http://www.seowebsitepromotion.com/obfuscate_email.asp

Mike Pepper
Accessible Web Developer