I /hate /trying check the accessbility of my web site because many of how subjective it is. I get 'warned' for some of the silliest things that would be a barrier to accessiblilty by adding unnessisary code. I think the best way to promote accessiblity is through accountablilty between web designers becuause a script can not (at least right now) take into consideration the complexity of making a site simple and accessible.

Stevio wrote:

Also, does anyone know of a good web site that details clearly and concisely
all the main things you should do to make a web site accessible?

The best source is the WAI guidelines. Sites must comply with priority 1,
should comply with priority 2 and may comply with priority 3:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/full-checklist.html

Some of this is a bit subjective. Does a web designer just go through it and decide himself if the web site they have made meets the checkpoints?

e.g. 14.1 Use the clearest and simplest language appropriate for a site's content.

That is very subjective.

There is a simpler web standards checklist (which covers basic
accessibility) here:
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/checklist.cfm

Thanks. Do you ever feel overwhelmed at the amount of validation and accessibility guidelines that new sites should be tested by and meet?

Stephen

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/