> Vlad Alexander (XStandard)

> <sub> and <sup> are not presentational.

I beg to differ...they are entirely visual.

> There is a valid need
> for superscript and subscript in markup. For example:
>
> E = mc<sup>2</sup>

Again, that's visual markup. It doesn't say "M C squared",
but "M C and then a 2 that lives a little higher up than
the rest of the text". HTML was never meant to mark up
mathematical expressions...that's what MathML is for.
I've seen <sup> used for referencing footnotes as well...
so you see it's not that <sup> has
semantic value, but it's purely describing the visual appearance.

> W3C uses a hidden <hr> tag on
> the home page to separate page content from the copyright info.

The W3C site is not always the best example for the purest, most
semantic use of markup, css, accessibility or anything else, so
- regardless of this actual discussion on <hr> - I wouldn't use
something found in their markup as an absolute proof.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk