> Sigurd Magnusson wrote:
>
>> Is there any situation where IE6 renders in standard compliance mode
>> with the <?xml ... > preamble?

Juergen Auer responded:

> If IE6 finds an Xml-Declaration, he switchs in BackCompat.

If my understanding is correct, then this should be phrased somewhat
differently.

If IE6 sees *anything* before the DOCTYPE, then it switches to
quirks mode. It does not look for the XML prolog specifically, and
you'll get the same effect by placing a comment there or any other
text. (Of course, anything other than the prolog would be invalid,
but that's a separate matter.)

--
Martin Lambert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]