I agree with you in certain aspects - yes, text stretched all along the
monitor does look strange. But then again so does a 800px design on a 21"
monitor. And you don't necessarily have to make the text fluid - you could
only make certain aspects of the design fill the entire screen.

I am not so much complaining about the fact that people came back to 800px
wide design as that I find it curious that they all look a bit the same.