Hope Stewart wrote:

For example, instead of

I left out the cellpadding attribute in the table tag and added this to my
style sheet:

td {
    padding: 0.5em 5px 2em 0;
}

but it didn't work.

G'day Hope,

Typically, that padding should have worked fine. And, does, when stuck into one of my tables. Therefore, as James said, we'll need either link or the code in order to sort this one out

A great reference is (of course) the spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html

It covers border-collapsing, padding and pretty much every way in which CSS interacts with HTML tables

I'll send you some sample code off-list, in case that helps

Cheers
Lachlan