Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> Ok, the IR technique I was referring to (now that I've checked) was
> the Gilder/Levin method
> http://www.mezzoblue.com/tests/revised-image-replacement/#gilderlevin

Believe it or not, but I didn't know about that one ;-)
Identical approach in term of CSS, but - as you know - very different
regarding markup.

> which uses a span, and my point was: if you're using CSS to scale and
> apply background to what is essentially an empty/transparent image (a
> 1x1 transparent gif or whatever), then why use an image at all and not

How do you make the background image of this "neutral element" scale?

> settle for a completely empty, neutral element like a SPAN (as happens
> in the Gilder/Levin technique)? Either way, you're adding extra markup
> to your HTML, so you may as well use something empty.

The Gilder/Levin method relies only on CSS to display the image, if there is
a need to show both elements in the heading the solution fails if the
document is unstyled.
Also, an empty span is nothing more than an empty span. I believe an image
with meaningful title and alt attributes may be of better use.

Thierry | http://www.TJKDesign.com