Thanks, Russ! I've fixed the doctype on the real page and it works
beautifully now.

The page is on a site with a non-web standards design that I've "inherited".
It's due for a revamp in a couple of months when I plan to introduce
standards. I thought I'd start to experiment with this new page but made the
mistake of using a copy of an old page as my starting point. Updating the
doctype hadn't occurred to me -- but it will now!

Thanks again,
Hope