Drake, Ted C. wrote:

But then I thought I should check to see if there would be any problems using an
underscore in an id or class. Is it one of the legal characters?

Don't know about 'legal', but I have had problems with certain browsers in the past ignoring css rules applied to classes and/or ids with underscores in their names. Early version/s of Safari come to mind; there may be others - and the issue may have been fixed in later releases. If I sound vague, it's because I fixed the problem by never again using underscores in id/class names, so I haven't tested for it lately...

HTH
Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/