Sites where designers can show off their chops cater to a specific audience - other designers who want to be thrilled by a primarily visual experience. There is nothing wrong with eye candy sites for people interested in eye candy, but using such examples as an argument in support of creating really big web pages for every/any site is flawed.

One size does not fit all, and in fact the entire design industry is built on this truth. Remember design is about creatively solving business problems, not the business of expressing your creativity.

There are many sound reasons not to create large web site pages, some of which are discussed in this thread already, and I suggest that where a peer review of a design repeatedly invokes the same criticism that there is probably something in that criticism.

I don't know of anybody in the real world (broadband or not) who has asked for a bigger slower web.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.