Actually no, that particular site we only tested with disabled people,
although I have to add the range of impairments was extremely wide, so I
don't think we would have found many other results had we tested people
without disabilities.

I agree with you that the navigation groupings might have added to the
users' need for additional information. But the users that did request the
dropdowns mentioned following reasons:

- Reduce mouse-clicks (especially on machines with slow Internet connection)
- Get a quick, detailed overview of the content in all sections
- Less content to read through

The last point was in particular valuable for deaf users and users with
reading impairment. As the website we tested had a lot of content on it,
some users felt uncomortable with pages of long content.

We did recommend against the dropdowns in the end, as this was only a
smaller proportion of the overall users that requested this functionality
and it probably would have caused problems for a couple of other users.
However it was interesting to see that, depending on the angle you take on
accessibility, dropdowns can certainly improve the usability of a website
for some groups.

Sorry, currently I cannot mention the name of the site for confidentiality
reasons.

Cheers,

Andreas.