I use a very simple rule that will allow for CSS validation...

Its the " * html " selector

IE thinks there's an extra element outside the HTML element...as we
know there isn't.  what this means is we can exploit it for our IE
hack.  Have a look at the example:

#wrapper { /* all browsers other than IE */
 width: 300px;
 padding: 0 5px;
}

* html #wrapper { /* ignored by everthing but IE */
 width: 310px;
}

I find this the easiest and most simple to keep track of.

HTH