On Aug 16, 2005, at 12:41 PM, Julie Romanowski wrote:

Here is a W3C Working Draft that addresses <b> and <i>:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/

"The em and strong elements were designed to indicate structural
emphasis that may be rendered in a variety of ways (font style changes,
speech inflection changes, etc.). The b and i elements were deprecated
in HTML 4.01 and XHTML because they were used to create a specific
visual effect."

That's a very curious thing for the W3C to publish. I am not aware of any HTML standard in which b and i are deprecated. Can anyone cite such a declaration?

They are included in XHTML 1.1 (Presentation Module)
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/ abstract_modules.html#s_presentationmodule

They were not deprecated in XHTML 1.1:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/changes.html#a_changes

As I understand it, nothing was deprecated in XHTML 1.0; in fact, they don't define the term for possible use:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#defs

HTML 4.01 didn't deprecate anything; it only clarified HTML 4.0. b and i are not deprecated in 4.0:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/appendix/changes.html#h-A.3.1.2

If the W3C misspoke, or if they are indeed deprecated but not listed as such in the common specs... well, it's no wonder such rumors persist!

--

    Ben Curtis : webwright
    bivia : a personal web studio