I know we had this discussion once before, but I was hoping to return to it
to see if there are any new opinions on this topic.

The question I have is what would be the best option to create images as
form buttons in an accessible manner?

So far I have always tried to use css to assign a background image to a
<input type="button">, but that doesn't always work, in particular if your
button text does not contain a standard font.

I then thought I should use <input type="image">, but realised that this
doesn't work in all browsers. IE, for example, has got the nasty habbit of
submitting name.x=0&name.y=0 when these kind of buttons are clicked, which
can make it really difficult if you have got multiple buttons in one form
and you wish to detect which of them was clicked.

Then there is <button>, but to be honest I don't know much about this one. I
assume it is not being supported in older browsers, so probably not the best
accessible solution, either.

Which leaves me with no solution, really. Is there a way of making it
accessible? Or are our browser limitations that strong that there is really
no way to use images as form buttons?

Thanks for the opinions.

Andreas