>> This is called the web standards group. I imagine that those here
>> essentially adhere to the value of web standards, and discuss things
>> in this context.

> And we are.  Where in the standard does it say we are not *allowed* to
> use even one table for layout?

"Tables should not be used to position elements graphically. Tables used in this way, known as "layout tables", do not observe the implication of tabular data inherent in the term "table", and can create particular accessibility problems as described in the techniques that follow."
Source: http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20050630/#layouttables

Unless of course you would argue the difference between "should not" and "not allowed", in which case I guess you would win.

>> From the get go the tables for layout approach was a hack

> Call it a hack if you like.  CSS layouts are usually full of them too.

Atleast then it's presentational hacks in the presentational layer.