> Ted had mentioned the example of
> navigation that is fully expressed as a list today may instead
> contain a list and other elements tomorrow (or conversely, on some
> pages it is only a list, on others it is a list plus headings, but on
> all pages it is the same navigation, etc.).

But at what point does it become too much? Wrapping the sidebar in a div for those reasons may seem OK.  But then why not wrap each list item in a div too, incase it needs two background images in the future?  To me, divs that aren't actively and logically grouping items together (usually with a header, see <section>), are presentational elements*, as their only purpose is for applying style.

> I'm also unlikely to give up my habit of trying to slim things down
> to the final ounce possible.

Good to know I'm not alone.

* I know technically they're not presentational elements, so no point in arguing with me if you disagree.