I think the future of CSS is not in hack or in conditional comments but
in using standard CSS. At the current time this isn't really possible
because of Internet Explorer, but from what I've heard about IE7 they
plan to do a fair amount of fixing up. Things won't be perfect and
support for nice stuff will still be lagging severly, but at least there
will be some platform that we can work off of.

CSS was designed to be backwards compatible, so as long as you're not
doing something that would create an accessibilty issue (like things
dissapearing) it would be quite alright to server modern CSS to the
browsers that support it and the ones that don't will properly fall back.

Of course, I'm basing this on the idea that IE7 will be up to the hype
that the guys at msdn are saying, and that MS won't sit down and abandon
the web for another half-decade.