Julián Landerreche wrote:

> I have been reading few articles (like
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html) about avoiding
> Verdana font.
> But I cant get the whole point in this issue.

> I mean: I understand that if you use a tiny font-size (like 10px or
> 0.64em or 64% applied to the body) you will get into problems with all
> fallback fonts (especialy with Times New Roman).

> But if you specify a higher font-size value, like 0.8em or 80%, you get
> a nice Verdana size and if the browser falls back to a font like Times
> New Roman, it is still very readable.

> So, please, can someone point me what am I missing about avoiding Verdana?

80% of my preference (my minimum size when I have it enabled) is NOT a
nice size, particularly if my preference is a large sized family that
you do not specify, but the fallbacks you do specify are not large
sized. The classic in-the-wild example font-family rule is 'verdana,
arial, helvetica, sans-serif'. Most Linux systems have neither Verdana
nor Arial installed, at least not by default. Commonly such systems have
Arial mapped to Helvetica. Helvetica can be a sizing problem, since
traditionally it is a bitmapped font. Examples:

http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/verdvhelve-s82ggtk1.gif
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/verdvhelve-fc3g.gif

~Source: http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/Font/font-verd-v-helve.html

Less extreme examples also included at bottom of this list:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/
--
"Be quick to listen, slow to speak."                James 1:19 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/